Season 10 Probe League Discussion

Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918
Battle.net Server: NA

Season 10 Probe League Discussion

Post by Watermelon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:20 pm

Hello friends.

As Season 10 preparations begin, I would like to open a discussion about the current and future state of Probe League. This has been a hot topic for debate in recent seasons, and I would like to get to the bottom of the issue. Here are some questions to steer the conversation in the right direction:

1) Should ZHPL teams be linked to ZHL teams, or be a separate entity?

2) Should a Probe "re-draft", where teams that lack enough active players can acquire dropped players from other teams, be sustained for Season 10?

3) Should the number of Probe teams in Season 10 be increased from Season 9, the same as Season 9, or decreased from Season 9?

4) Should Probe series remain on Wednesdays and Saturdays, or be scheduled differently?
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
stealthmeh
Battle.net Name: stealth
Battle.net Char Code: 522

Re: Season 10 Probe League Discussion

Post by stealthmeh » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:04 pm

1) Should ZHPL teams be linked to ZHL teams, or be a separate entity?
personally i prefer separate for balance reasons and so owners can focus on exactly what their zhl/zhpl team needs instead of thinking about both at same time but make ZHL draft 8 rounds instead of 7 so there is less chance of zhl viable probe players being excluded from the league (also need probe owners that are not the same as ZHL owners imo; I would be willing to probe owner season 10)

2) Should a Probe "re-draft", where teams that lack enough active players can acquire dropped players from other teams, be sustained for Season 10?
I am kind of indifferent with this since I think if we get high quality probe owners it won't be important but I am not totally against it. I am however against FA draft since they generally get at least 1 smurf in them each season so far ;/

3) Should the number of Probe teams in Season 10 be increased from Season 9, the same as Season 9, or decreased from Season 9?
depends on the structure you wish to take. If you are keeping it 5th round and below only allowed I would keep it similar # of teams if you are allowing 4th rounders in and 3rd rounders to sign up off position then you could expand to 10-12 probe teams easily (main limit is finding enough decent probe owners really)

4) Should Probe series remain on Wednesdays and Saturdays, or be scheduled differently?
Since I am considering to lock goalie s10 and play in probe I would prefer Wednesday/Thursday schedule or anything that does not include Friday/Saturday

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
*here are some ideas i had for probe during season 9 as issues came up
iSpyGecko
Battle.net Name: iSpyGecko
Battle.net Char Code: 1819

Post by iSpyGecko » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:11 pm

1. seperate but you need to be diligent about not only probe owner selections, but ZHL owner selections because certain retards pick people like meepomart 4th round and deplete probe rosters.

2. why not

3. obviously do this based off of signups.

4. definitely not saturday

Marker
Battle.net Name: Marker
Battle.net Char Code: 164

Post by Marker » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:16 pm

Saturdays are cancer.

PGP KEY

Code: Select all

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0BO0QBS9-l_SW03alNQMnF6Z0U/view?usp=sharing
themusic
Battle.net Name: themusic
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by themusic » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:44 pm

The part i liked best about my first season probing it up was that it was part of the ZHL team franchise.. i got to practice with people that didnt suck, learn, get better, mentored, etc... and it was awesome having one large channel with the same franchise. ASIDE from that.. here's the setup in my mind with a combined franchise setup:

Draft:
1. Draft takes place in 2 separate drafts. Rounds 1-6 are picked in the first draft
2. In between the first and second draft, the team must vote on a probe owner (which must be someone other than the ZHL owner).
3. Draft rounds 7-X is a completely separate draft a day or two later (giving time for probe owner to orient him/herself with the remaining draft list). The probe owner guides the draft with the ZHL team owners advisement only.

Shedules:
1. Games are 3 separate days a week (sun/wed/thurs), same time frames same days. ZHL team plays and probe plays right after.
2. Reschedules are for both franchises. ZHL reschedules carry probes along with them. Sucks a bit for probe but eliminates 500000 problems in the process. MUCH better and easier to manage, cast, know to show up to etc.
3. Flex reschedules were awesome (assuming a small limit)

Probe eligibility (probe defined as rounds 7-X):
1. No one drafted rounds 1-4 may play in a probe game under any circumstance unless: the player is a locked goalie, no other eligible probe players are online, and they must play only a skater position
2. Players drafted rounds 5-6 can only play a probe game if there are no available probes left to play. If they played in a ZHL game prior to the game, they can only play off position
3. Players drafted rounds 7-X can play under any circumstance unless they played a ZHL game prior, in which case they can play off position

All the other details around trades, anti-feloning and stuff should be easy to figure out, the core issues were the things i listed above. Only concern is ZHL games during the week, but IDK how that can be solved aside from sunday games starting earlier in the day.

Music out.
KagaRoshi
Battle.net Name: KagaRoshi
Battle.net Char Code: 1835

Post by KagaRoshi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:07 pm

Honestly my hours right now is 10am-6pm pacific 5-6 days a week and during summer it will probably be 6 days a week every week, my days off are normally sundays and every second monday, so if probe games could fall on either of those days just so I can at least play 2-4 games a month or so, would be so awesome :( I don't want to leave my team hanging without me season 10 because I was working every game of playoffs for Aiur this season, sucked.
If you read this, I succeeded in wasting your time.
iFound
Battle.net Name: iFound
Battle.net Char Code: 1907

Post by iFound » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:11 pm

1. Separate, but you need to be diligent about not only probe owner selections, but also ZHL owner selections because certain retards pick people like Meepomart 4th round and deplete probe rosters.

2. Why not?

3. Obviously do this based off of signups.

4. Definitely not Saturday!

An additional suggestion: make Cody all time probe caster please.
"Why speak always just play and lets go see who can speak alot after :/" - EU Goalie
KagaRoshi
Battle.net Name: KagaRoshi
Battle.net Char Code: 1835

Post by KagaRoshi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:15 pm

iFound wrote: An additional suggestion: make Cody all time probe caster please.
I agree with this.
If you read this, I succeeded in wasting your time.
Meepomart
Battle.net Name: Meepomart
Battle.net Char Code: 550

Post by Meepomart » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:22 pm

Codidly #1 probe caster
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457